Wednesday 3 July 2013

VANGYACHE KAAP / SHALLOW FRIED BRINJAL ROUNDELLS / वांग्याचे काप

As a 4 - 5 year old, I had been to Goa with my parents. That was the first time that I tasted fried fish and was completely addicted to it. 

Then at home we were complete vegetarians coz my mom had never cooked non veg. My dad did cook chicken occasionally though.

So coming back to my story, when we were back from Goa, one fine day I started throwing tantrums around that I wanted to eat fried fish, and that too how it was made in Goa (this is what my parents told me, thankfully I dont remember it). Thats when my mom made these brinjal roundells or Vangyache Kaap for me and fed me saying that it was fried fish.

Many years after that too, my parents would still tease me about my fish fetish, and their not so fishy treat.



VANGYACHE KAAP / SHALLOW FRIED BRINJAL ROUNDELLS / वांग्याचे काप 

INGREDIENTS

Vangi / big purple brinjal
1 no
Coarse rice flour
½ cup
Chilli pdr
¼ tsp
Salt
T.T.
Haldi / turmeric pdr
¼ tsp
Chaat masala
¼ tsp
Oil
For shallow frying
Lemon
1 no


METHOD:

1.       Cut the brinjal in ½ inch thick roundels. Put immediately in water or they will turn black.

2.       In a plate take the rice flour. Season it with salt, chilli pdr and haldi.

3.       Remove each roundel from the water, pat it on a kitchen napkin to remove excess moisture. Poke it and scratch it lightly with  the help of a fork. Now roll it in the seasoned flour, coating it well on both sides.

4.       Shallow fry on a hot griddle till crisp golden brown on both sides and cooked well till the centre.

5.       Remove and sprinkle chaat masala on top. Serve it as a side dish immediately or it will start getting soggy. Garnish with onion rings and lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave here your comments and suggestions